Monday, November 2, 2015

Spiritual Teaching of Saint Mother Maria Skobtsova

Mother-Maria-Skobtsov-smiling“At the Last Judgment, I will not be asked whether I satisfactorily practiced asceticism, or how many bows I have made before the divine altar. I will be asked whether I fed the hungry, clothed the naked, visited the sick and the prisoner in jail. That is all I will be asked” – Mother Maria Skobtsova of Paris.

Mother Maria Skobtsova was an unconventional Orthodox nun who aided the persecuted Jewish people in occupied France during WWII. Confronting the horror of Nazi brutality, Mother Maria devised an ingenious plan to save Jewish children destined for extermination camps: Paris garbage collectors, upon her urging, hid the children in trash cans and whisked them to safe havens outside the city. Mother Maria, for her selfless rescue activities, perished in a gas chamber in Ravensbruck concentration camp in Germany in 1945. Today, she is among the “righteous gentiles” honored in Israel and a canonized saint in the Orthodox Christian Church.




from WordPress http://ift.tt/1RIY9bM
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment