Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Broken Vessel

In childhood I found myself preoccupied with angst and prayerful hope for peace between the Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland. My maternal family roots derive from Wales, Scotland, and England; my maternal great mother’s surname was Stuart, allegedly a descendant of “Bloody Mary” Queen of Scots. I really detested Elizabeth!


Concurrently I anguished over the Soviet’s power and it’s systematic destruction of Russian culture and all remnants of “Holy Rus”. After the initial funeral scene in the film “Dr. Zhivago”, my sentiments and sensibilities were tortured throughout the remainder of the movie. I immaturely fantasized and prayed for the return of the Tsar, who would surely right all wrongs and reestablish an Orthodox Christian empire before the final reign of the antichrist and Armegeddon.


Likewise the conflict in the Middle East has always weighed very heavily on my heart. Having been raised with both Jewish and Arab friends, I was regularly exposed to divergent perspectives, leaving me confused and anxiety-ridden like a stalemated ping-pong match.


Sadly, after 40 years, things have not really changed much. Although there have certainly been periods of respite and brief sighs of exhilarated hope, the current media headlines again report renewed conflict in Northern Ireland, civil-strife between Russia and Ukraine, and aggressive massacres between Israelis and Palestinians.


Rather than despair, I find myself spiritually drawn to more fervent prayer, seeking God to enlighten me how this unworthy and broken vessel might incarnate the justice of God and be an “instrument of peace” in the place I’ve been planted. Such contemplation brings to mind our Savior’s words: “Blessed are the peacemakers… Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the Realm of Heaven. Let anyone with ears listen!”


Fr. Vlad, a sinner

Poustinnik at Ploss Lake


“Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved” – Saint Seraphim of Sarov (Russian: Преподобнный Серафим Саровский)








from WordPress http://ift.tt/1o6i2xz

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment